Slow cookers etc.

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
MAD87

Slow cookers etc.

#21 Post by MAD87 »

I've ordered the Ninja so we'll see what gives.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Lori

Slow cookers etc.

#22 Post by Lori »

Congrats ! I think you're going to love it.

Chappers51

Slow cookers etc.

#23 Post by Chappers51 »

I agrée with Lori!!

suein56

Slow cookers etc.

#24 Post by suein56 »

MAD87 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:42 pm I've ordered the Ninja so we'll see what gives.
My son bought a double drawer Ninja a few months ago and is delighted with it, so I hope you will be with your purchase.

Polly

Slow cookers etc.

#25 Post by Polly »

Mangetout wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:21 am I look at my menu for today and wonder if an air fryer, or whatever you call them, would be of any use to me. Today I had homemade compote and yogurt for breakfast. The yogurt was shop bought and the compote was made in a saucepan yesterday and took barely 10 minutes. I made enough for 3 or 4 days. For lunch I've just made some gazpacho with the last of the toms from the potager, along with baby courgettes in place of peppers or cucumber. I'll eat it poured on top of wholegrain bread and top with crumbled feta. Tonight it's steamed garden veg, carrots, courgette and brocoli, with pan fried salmon. All of these things can be done in minutes on top of a stove so I don't see where I could use one of these pieces of equipment.
Mangetout, as you said in an earlier post, it depends what you eat. The foods you mention above are quickly and easily cooked on the hob; my friend cooks roasts and a full range of vegs, lots of cakes, etc in hers.

Mangetout

Slow cookers etc.

#26 Post by Mangetout »

I understand that for some it will be a good choice but perhaps just not for me.

exile

Slow cookers etc.

#27 Post by exile »

MAD87 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:42 pm I've ordered the Ninja so we'll see what gives.
Let us know how you get on. I am slightly reticent due to a lack of countertop space but if it really is a must-have, I could be persuaded.

MAD87

Slow cookers etc.

#28 Post by MAD87 »

exile wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:53 pm
Let us know how you get on. I am slightly reticent due to a lack of countertop space but if it really is a must-have, I could be persuaded.
I've also decided I need an extra counter top in the kitchen :lol:

Lori

Slow cookers etc.

#29 Post by Lori »

Mangetout wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:44 pm I understand that for some it will be a good choice but perhaps just not for me.
It was my husband who ordered the Air Fryer. He's a serial shopper (the male in this family, not the female). I figured it would be another thing that ended up in the attic/garage. The longer we had it, the more foods I tried in it. And was seriously surprised at how much I enjoyed it and how much less time it took to prepare very good food.

Of course, it won't work for everyone. Your pan fried salmon could easily be done in the air fryer. I do that all the time and am thrilled with the results. As to steaming veggies. You can definitely slice/cube them and cook them in the AF. I find that they can be cooked to the equivalent of steamed in a short few minutes. If you leave them for longer, you will have roasted veggies. Both, of which, we love.

One thing I find amazingly good in the AF is chicken; especially chicken with the skin left on it. Drumsticks, thighs, breasts, whole bird, etc. They just turn out fantastic every single time, and take so much less time than a traditional oven.

I'm also surprised how well home made biscuits (the American kind) bake in the AF. Never would have thought.

Polarengineer

Slow cookers etc.

#30 Post by Polarengineer »

Scones? However did that become a biscuit?