Posting on the forum - New Topics, Replies etc.

Char
Site Admin

Posting on the forum - New Topics, Replies etc.

#1 Post by Char »

Staring a New Topic.

If you wish to start a new topic (for instance) about pets, enter that section and just click on the New Topic button
new topic.JPG

A posting box with formatting tools will appear for you to start your topic - please remember to give your topic a title, and if you preview your post please make sure you click on the Submit button below the posting area, otherwise your topic will disappear into the ether never to be seen again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Char
Site Admin

Replying to a post

#2 Post by Char »

To reply to an existing topic you simply click on the reply button that you will find at the top and bottom of the topic/thread, which will take to to a box to post in.
posting box.JPG
You will find text and post formatting buttons at the top B=Bold type I=Italics U=underline etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Char
Site Admin

REview previous posts and quoting posts

#3 Post by Char »

Once you are in the posting area, you can review the previous posts on the thread by scrolling down to the Topic Preview, which is beneath the attachment tab.
topic review.JPG
As you can see by the snippet above you can scroll down through the previous posts and if you click on the quotation marks at the top right hand corner of the post you wish to quote - the quote will automatically appear in your post - when replying to a quote make sure your cursor is outside of the quote code.

You can quote multiple posts by simply clicking on the quotation marks on each post you wish to quote - this may be useful if you wish to thank a lot of members for responding to you, as it saves making several new posts one after another.

If you only want to quote one member's post there is no need to click on the reply button. Simply click on the quotation marks above the post that you wish to quote and the quote will appear in a text editor for you to add your remarks - again make sure your reply is made after the coding on the page, otherwise what ever you type will be included within the quote.

Char
Site Admin

Re: Posting on the forum - New Topics, Replies etc.

#4 Post by Char »

I hope the above makes sense - I seem to have made it sound more complicated than it is. :roll:

If something doesn't make sense, just let me know and I'll try to explain more clearly. :D

Blaze

#5 Post by Blaze »

Oooh, thanks Char. I didn't know about the Topic Review thingy and the ability to do multiple quotes :D
Nice clear explanation 👍

Sparkle

#6 Post by Sparkle »

↑ Neither did I - thanks Char.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

MAD87

#7 Post by MAD87 »

I knew about multiple quotes but not Review. How is it though that everyone except me can address folk in Red? (@Folk)

Char
Site Admin

#8 Post by Char »

MAD87 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:30 pm I knew about multiple quotes but not Review. How is it though that everyone except me can address folk in Red? (@Folk)

If you type the @ then the first letter of the name immediately next to the without a gap @m a drop down list of names should appear - you then click on the name that you want and it should automatically appear correctly once you've submitted your post.

Char
Site Admin

#9 Post by Char »

I've also just enabled the quick reply - but I'm not sure what the benefit of it is so will probably disable it - otherwise people are going to start asking where their smilies and formatting buttons have gone.

In the meantime if you want to format your posts click on the Full Editor & Preview button below the Quick Reply box.