Declaration des Biens

suein56

Declaration des Biens

#41 Post by suein56 »

Also .. 'noli illegitimi carborundum' : care of Wiki : quote
This form of the saying was popularized in English by the US general "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell during World War II, reputed to have been taught it by British army intelligence. It later became the motto for the 1964 Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater, who displayed it as a sign in his senatorial office. The plural form 'nolite te bastardes carborundum' was popularized by Margaret Atwood's 1985 dystopian novel The Handmaid's Tale and its subsequent TV adaptation.

The point of this being that the powers that be do sometimes get things wrong and until such errors are corrected, and the correction accepted, then they remain wrong.

Polarengineer

Declaration des Biens

#42 Post by Polarengineer »

My version came from my engineering mentor during my apprenticeship, he told me it was used often by his fellow REME officers during the WW2. He and his brother were brilliant teachers in their family business and taught me to make anything in metal from engineering drawings. Some of the machines in the workshop were from the 1800s driven by an overhead lineshaft and belts. I remember the big 60inch throw lathe, it’s drive lineshaft was so worn that it sat through the plumberblock bearing down onto the oak beam and we had to squirt oil at from down on the shop floor.