Wilbro

Waste bin audit

#11 Post by Wilbro »

@Lori and
Urban myth?

MAD87

Waste bin audit

#12 Post by MAD87 »

So some have their recyclable waste collected? We don't, and have to lug it up to the communal recycling bins (strictly segregated according to type - glass, plastic & cardboard and paper).
We don't have waste bins either - just pink household waste bags to be left outside on collection day.
Still, when the contractors (Veolia) announced they could no longer collect twice weekly at the same price, the Mairie negotiated a single Thursday collection at a lower price, which surprised but pleased me. It's now about €180/year I think.

Hotrodder

Waste bin audit

#13 Post by Hotrodder »

I haven't a clue what the deal is here. There used to be a communal bin just across the road. One yellow top for recyclables and one brown top for household stuff in a black sac. Then for some unknown reason they were taken away. Now I have to lug them up the hill to the next nearest bins.
Where we used to live there suddenly appeared a new set of communal bins that could only be opened with a special triangular key and no information offered on where to get one. I found one on ebay! :D
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Lori

Waste bin audit

#14 Post by Lori »

Wilbro wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:30 pm @Lori and
Urban myth?
I kinda figured that.

L Austin France

Waste bin audit

#15 Post by L Austin France »

Our 6 house area used to have two large roadside communal bins which were full the day after emptying thanks to all & sundry using them as drop in bins.
After many emails & visits to our bin men's lair they finally relented & gave us each a recyclable & ordures bin.
System now excellent with recyclables collected every two weeks & ordures weekly paid, I assume, from the local taxes at no extra cost.

ajm

Waste bin audit

#16 Post by ajm »

When we have food waste like fish bones,chicken carcasses,etc we bag them up and put them in the freezer until we have enough for a good bin load

Hotrodder

Waste bin audit

#17 Post by Hotrodder »

Or a soup.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

tagh

Waste bin audit

#18 Post by tagh »

Veolia is huge in refuse collection and recycling and are making an absolute fortune out or ripping off local authorities and the community generally and not just in France. Yet there seems not to be any control of their behaviour by the State.

ajm

Waste bin audit

#19 Post by ajm »

Hotrodder wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:36 pmOr a soup.
After the stock has been made.

Loup-garou

Waste bin audit

#20 Post by Loup-garou »

ajm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:03 pm
Hotrodder wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:36 pmOr a soup.
After the stock has been made.
After stock and/or soup we put all bones into the woodburner (summer being the exception). All ashes from there go on the garden or veggies - the garden does not seem to like the ashes from the wood burning chaudière so they are kept for the déchetterie.