Getting UK pension directly paid in France

Bayleaf

#31 Post by Bayleaf »

+1 for using Wise. They definitely gave me a much better rate than my Nat West account, when transferring some inheritance. Really quick too! :clap:

ajm

#32 Post by ajm »

Like lots of things in life - you pays your money and takes your pick.

L Austin France

#33 Post by L Austin France »

I'm still confused as to how a free? UK credit card can be used to pay in a foreign country with the same(ish) FX benefits etc as a debit card of the country purchases are made in.
Credit cards surely attract fees as the provider, as well as handling the admin, effectively gives the user a loan until the balance is cleared. Shops appear to lose out as they are charged a fee by the provider which appears to win all ways. Someone has to pay for these things & I'm sure it ain't the banks.
Last edited by L Austin France on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bayleaf

#34 Post by Bayleaf »

I made the mistake of drawing some cash out of a French cashpoint, using my NatWest card - won't be doing that again! Lousy exchange rate, and a fixed charge each time.

ajm

#35 Post by ajm »

Bayleaf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:13 pm I made the mistake of drawing some cash out of a French cashpoint, using my NatWest card - won't be doing that again! Lousy exchange rate, and a fixed charge each time.
We use a CA ATM to draw cash using our UK credit card. I draw €500 at the commercial rate and CA charge €6 for the privilege. You have to choose your ATM with care. Credit Mutuelle only give the tourist rate from their ATMs but at least they tell you before you finish the transaction.

L Austin France

#36 Post by L Austin France »

ajm wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:30 pm We use a CA ATM to draw cash using our UK credit card. I draw €500 at the commercial rate and CA charge €6 for the privilege.
So CA instantly give you 500€ & charge you 6€ presumably for the admin but how do they get their 500€ back from your UK card provider & who pays their interest until they do?
At the same time your UK credit card provider lends you the 500€ until you pay it off so who pays the interest on that?
As you can see, I'm no financial expert but common sense says someone has to pay for these services.

MAD87

#37 Post by MAD87 »

I draw €100 from time to time at the CA ATM next door, using my Nationwide debit card. They (CA) charged me €6 last time - it usedd to be €5 - whatever the amount withdrawn. And yes, Nationwide also charges a (small) non-Sterling transaction fee. Not very sensible of me all in all, but paying a tiny sum (e.g., for a baguette) with a card doesn't seem right when the artisan pays commission to his or her bank on every swipe.
OH keeps (and regularly loses) our CA card which is what I should use for cash.

Wilbro

#38 Post by Wilbro »

No way a debit card exchange gives as good a rate as a transfer via a FX company unless you are using a pretty crappy FX company.

L Austin France

#39 Post by L Austin France »

Wilbro wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:30 am No way a debit card exchange gives as good a rate as a transfer via a FX company unless you are using a pretty crappy FX company.
Apparently ajm's credit card does although I'm still trying to find out how?

ajm

#40 Post by ajm »

L Austin France wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:28 am
Wilbro wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:30 am No way a debit card exchange gives as good a rate as a transfer via a FX company unless you are using a pretty crappy FX company.
Apparently ajm's credit card does although I'm still trying to find out how?
It sure does but I don't know why either. :)