A rare event - (a little) praise for Credit Agricole

Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

I wrote a big cheque last week for our new assainisement individuelle. Sent it off to the guy and a couple of days later the money went out of my bank account. All done I thought until yesterday when at lunchtime I got an incomprehensible phone message from my local bank.
I rang straight back, but no it’s lunch time blah blah message.
So I got ready for the worst and eventually got a call back at the end of the day.
I explained we just couldn’t understand the message and she laughed.
She was just checking that the amount was really correct.
So I suppose I have to be a little grateful that they bothered to verify the transaction.

hughnique

#2 Post by hughnique »

They did that when I paid in the cash from the sale of my mini digger.

Wilbro

#3 Post by Wilbro »

We only have good things to say after 17 years with our local CA. Never a problem and always helpful.

Hotrodder

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

And in contrast, I still curse the day I opened a CA account when I first came to France.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Lori

#5 Post by Lori »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:12 pm And in contrast, I still curse the day I opened a CA account when I first came to France.
Sadly, us too. Never experienced a worse bank anywhere in the World.

Bayleaf

#6 Post by Bayleaf »

It can change from branch to branch - also depends on your own bank manager. First business manager for our BP account was lovely. Replaced by an absolute git. So we changed branches, and it was an absolute pleasure again!

So, may not be the bank, just certain employees!

Lori

#7 Post by Lori »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:21 pm So, may not be the bank, just certain employees!
I agree with that, however, in our case, it was unpleasant from every aspect, at the branch and other departments of the bank. We first opened out account at the Malaucene branch. They handled our mortgage, etc. They were great. We never had to do anything outside of that branch, at that time. When we moved into our house in Bédoin, we moved our accounts to the Bédoin branch. Biggest mistake ever.

We ended up closing our accounts - and that was a flippin nightmare - and moving to BP in Carpentras. They were better.

Quiksilver

#8 Post by Quiksilver »

CA...don't you just love them? :D I had a letter from them today explaining in great detail why they need an Avis d'Imposition to justify my LEP. The same Avis d'Imposition that I took into my local branch a week ago :roll:

Hotrodder

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Lori wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:24 pm
Bayleaf wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:21 pm So, may not be the bank, just certain employees!
I agree with that, however, in our case, it was unpleasant from every aspect, at the branch and other departments of the bank. We first opened out account at the Malaucene branch. They handled our mortgage, etc. They were great. We never had to do anything outside of that branch, at that time. When we moved into our house in Bédoin, we moved our accounts to the Bédoin branch. Biggest mistake ever.

We ended up closing our accounts - and that was a flippin nightmare - and moving to BP in Carpentras. They were better.
That has a very familiar ring to it. It took over three months to achieve a straightforward current account closure after sitting down with the branch English language counsellor who assured me it has all been done and dusted at the first meeting. The difference of performance between one branch and another is down to them being only franchises of the parent CA. For all intents and purposes they are completely separate entities. You can't go into a branch of CA and pay in cash to your account held somewhere else. They might take it but all they do is put it into an envelope and physically send it to your own branch where it is then credited to your account. Bonkers!
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

demi

#10 Post by demi »

Credit Agricole Britline - which I opened before I moved to France - I can not praise highly enough. They have made things so easy & are always at the end of a phone line (longest wait 6 minutes). I realise I pay for this sevice but as a (comparative) newbie to France and not being fluent it is amazing to ring my bank and be able to speak English & everything gets sorted pdq. Having that account has been a source of great reassurance to me.