Interesting Old Buildings

:camera: The place to share your photos as well as exchanging ideas, information, and discuss software and equipment
rockfish

Re: Interesting Old Buildings

#21 Post by rockfish »

The Rhone floods regularly. For those who may be interested my partner and I ran a commercial peniche in Belgium, Netherlands and France in 1980/90s. We had delivered to a power station just above Avignon I think from Gent, as the levels were rising. After unloading we made a dash for Lyon before the Rhone was closed and came back passing over the wears. The only sign of the ecluse were the marker bouys. The river closed to navigation 2 days later. The hardest part was getting through an arched bridge I can't remember where. The force of water coming through meant it took us a scary 10 to 20 minutes to squeeze through.
Most rivers in France are feminine gender. Le Rhone is masculine, we found out why.

Oldblueraincoat

#22 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Visited St Martin's Church in the commune of Losse yesterday, it is no longer safe for purpose but an interesting historic site at Estampon.
attach_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
20210813113039_IMG_7709_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_6584_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobertArthur

#23 Post by RobertArthur »

Old and interesting, not abandoned:

Oldblueraincoat

#24 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Like those photos [mention]RobertArthur[/mention] particularly the Pigeonnier or Colombier but l really don't know the difference even after reading this

https://espritdepays.com/patrimoines-en ... s-perigord

What l do know is that they make the countryside around here more interesting and are wonderful subjects for photos
Attachment-1 (22)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
1AHELI (2)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
1AMAS (2)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobertArthur

#25 Post by RobertArthur »

OBR, in the Auxois about 400 of them, also in and around the Morvan where I spotted one from a distance. In those circumstances the 12 x optical zoom of my little old Panasonic DMC-TZ8 digital camera is very convenient (Leica lens).

Oldblueraincoat

#26 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Not so old but this is one of the smallest and prettiest chateau in St Emilion/Pomerol
IMG_9306-01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
The ancient gendarmerie in La Reole
IMG_4969_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
This lovely arcade adorned with Boucherie Delpech Signage in the Bastille town of Monclar in Lot-et-Garonne.
20210826134152_IMG_7852-01-01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Oldblueraincoat

#27 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Some of the Wine Chateau in the Gironde are beautiful here are some of my favourites.

Chateau le Vigneau in Bommes.
IMG_6490_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Chateau de L'Hironde in Martillac.
IMG_6235-01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Chateau Monbazillac near Bergerac.
IMG_0354 - Copie-01_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

RobertArthur

#28 Post by RobertArthur »

At first sight not very interesting this old manoir of the 17th century and the huge granges. I took note of the nice lucarnes. Upon closer inspection you see its important functions during the war, communication center of the Free French of general De Gaulle with London, under the eyes of the German Wehrmacht in the middle of the Morvan. In a village called Ouroux-en-Morvan. Where also the SAS (David Sterling) left its footprints.

mysty

#29 Post by mysty »

The second one is very nice OBR, dep 58

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Oldblueraincoat

#30 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

The Public Wash-house in Floriac - Now an art gallery.
IMG_9109-01.jpeg
The Abbaye Saint-Maurice at Blasimon
IMG_0721-01-01.jpeg
The Old Railway Station at Mesterrieux - Now part of the Cave Co-operative
IMG_9849-01.jpeg