Coffee please?

A new section for discussion and displays of your favourite ways to relax or maybe energize yourselves.
Doug

Coffee please?

#21 Post by Doug »

Hi there fellow hifi enthusiasts.
I still have a Quad 22 amp set with controller and fm tuner.
A Garrad 401 deck with an SME 12"arm and sure cartridge.
The speakers, cabinets which I built myself. Hold 12" bass, 8" mid and 4"treble units.
In my opinion there's nothing today to beat the setup.

Spectrum

Coffee please?

#22 Post by Spectrum »

Rega Brio amp, QAcoustics floor speakers, Marantz CD player linked by QED79, happy with it, but will need more power, so bigger Amp this year but at £2000 will have to save up a lot of luncheon vouchers :D :D

Hotrodder

Coffee please?

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

True enough. I suppose because people today are not so bothered about sound quality after falling for the convenience of streaming the market for decent hi fi equipment is much smaller. The response in the industry has been to find a profit by jacking up the prices to ridiculous levels for those who still care. I haven't spent 2k on my entire setup but that is because it was bought over a long period of time. And what I bought was of sufficient quality that I didn't have to bin it after a year or two. My CD collection is spread over two Sony players that hold 300 each. No fiddling with plastic cases, just pick a title from my master list and push a button on the player. No fees to pay to gain access. I own the media. Sadly even CDs are getting expensive now that newer generations are discovering physical media, just like with vinyl records. Went to three boot fairs today and I was sorely tempted by a Wes Montgomery LP that I didn't know existed. 10€ seemed reasonable but when I took a close look it had suffered a hard life and was likely to sound like a bowl of rice krispies. Pass.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Coffee please?

#24 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:32 pm Went to three boot fairs today and I was sorely tempted by a Wes Montgomery LP
I play guitar with the side of my thumb & was once told I play like Wes Montgomery.
I'd never heard of him so looked him up.
I might play like him But boy don't I wish I could play like him :)

Hotrodder

Coffee please?

#25 Post by Hotrodder »

Me too! I discovered him in the late 60s at a time when I was playing in a semi-pro rock band. I wasn't much interested in jazz at the time but he got me hooked.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.