Repurposing a 1960’s sheepskin coat

A new section for discussion and displays of your favourite ways to relax or maybe energize yourselves.
Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

In my wardrobe hangs a beautiful unworn knee length ladies sheepskin coat. It has as far as I can see escaped the ravages of moth and mould.
The collar is a big thickly furry monstrosity.
I am thinking of taking the collar off and possibly the sleeves and turning it into a long gilet.
I looked on eBay and these coats go for under 50 quid. Then I found a site selling them new (Celtic something or other) asking up to 3 grand!
Any ideas before I take the scissors to it please?

Veem

#2 Post by Veem »

Leave it as it is and reserve it for days when it's so cold you don't give a **** what it looks like.

curtis

#3 Post by curtis »

Headers wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:12 am
I looked on eBay and these coats go for under 50 quid. Then I found a site selling them new (Celtic something or other) asking up to 3 grand!
My wife is looking for a sheepskin coat. Were you searching UK or France? Any chance of a link?

Bayleaf

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

Veem wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:31 pm Leave it as it is and reserve it for days when it's so cold you don't give a **** what it looks like.
I have one that was my mum's. It's a bit roomy for me, but there may just be that big freeze where it will be perfect and still fit with several jumpers on underneath! I might look like a weeble, but it won't even matter if I do wobble and fall down! :lol:

tagh

#5 Post by tagh »

Has anyone got a dog that gets cold?

Headers

#6 Post by Headers »

I looked on eBay uk.
The collar is hugely tickly.
I already wear its sister ‘bookies’ sheepskin every winter. That too is from the 1960’s.

Headers

#7 Post by Headers »

curtis wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:37 pm
Headers wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:12 am
My wife is looking for a sheepskin coat. Were you searching UK or France? Any chance of a link?
Try Etsy. What size is she looking for?

Hotrodder

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

I am reminded of my old 60s Afghan goat coat. Everybody loved it................until they got close enough to smell it. Anybody remember those? The western copies were OK but the real ones really did pong. :(
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

curtis

#9 Post by curtis »

Headers wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:49 pm I looked on eBay uk.
The collar is hugely tickly.
I already wear its sister ‘bookies’ sheepskin every winter. That too is from the 1960’s.
OK Thanks. Not much use to me as would need something in France

Veem

#10 Post by Veem »

Hotrodder wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:39 pm I am reminded of my old 60s Afghan goat coat. Everybody loved it................until they got close enough to smell it. Anybody remember those? The western copies were OK but the real ones really did pong. :(
Oh lordie, do I remember those. A dear friend brought a coat back for me from his trek to Afganistan. Worse still, from the smelly point of view, he brought me a white goat skin bonnet (curly white wool outside), which truly smelled disgusting, but I loved them both. I don't even remember now what happened to them .........