Here we go again . . . pi?

:mask:
niemeyjt

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

Emergence in Southern France of a new SARS-CoV-2 variant of probably Cameroonian origin harbouring both substitutions N501Y and E484K in the spike protein.

SARS-CoV-2 variants have become a major virological, epidemiological and clinical concern, particularly with regard to the risk of escape from vaccine-induced immunity. Here we describe the emergence of a new variant. For twelve SARS-CoV-positive patients living in the same geographical area of southeastern France, qPCR testing that screen for variant-associated mutations showed an atypical combination. The index case returned from a travel in Cameroon.

source: https://www.scribd.com/document/550734805/2021-12-24-21268174v1-full#from_embed

Blaze

#2 Post by Blaze »

It seems that travel is the major cause of the spread of variants .....

Quiksilver

#3 Post by Quiksilver »

Travel is the cause of the pandemic in the first place! But can anyone imagine the impossibility of imposing a total, international ban? Then there is the unofficial, illicit movement between countries and continents. I wonder if the dinosaurs went through something similar? :D

Pathca

#4 Post by Pathca »

More like ostriches,burying their heads in the sand

exile

#5 Post by exile »

But of course had those in the Cameroon been largely vaccinated...................

Easy to say but much harder to actually do, of course.

niemeyjt

#6 Post by niemeyjt »

Holding Africa's largest soccer contest, the 2021 African Cup of Nations, in Cameroon over the next month can only exacerbate any issues.

We need to separate essential from non-essential activities - and watching soccer falls in the latter category (with apologies to Bill Shankley).

Bayleaf

#7 Post by Bayleaf »

No, it has nothing to do with travelling en mass, and people amassing together in general, according to a Dutch ex-client. It's all to do with not having enough of the world vaccinated - 'cos then it'd be like smallpox and measles - pretty much gone. I'm no expert, but I thought the Covid virus was more akin to the flu virus - keeps mutating, thus the vaccines also have to. Sadly, I think this person is being fed incorrect info. and I'm too tired to try to get that point across!

Plus the fact that although vaccinated people will hopefully not be so ill if they do catch the bug (like flu), they can still contract and infect others?

I know you can't ban travel - despite how wonderful it was for Nature to breathe momentarily, but while the masses keep swarming around the globe, so will the virus. End of. :cry:

ExMontpelliérain

#8 Post by ExMontpelliérain »

I’m treating this with some scepticism until there’s more information as 1) it’s a pre-print (i.e. not yet peer-reviewed) & 2) check out the last name on the paper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nous sommes nos choix.

Pachapapa

#9 Post by Pachapapa »

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21268174v1
Is that the one rumoured to be endemic in rabbit warrens making eating rabbits infra-dig in Cameroon.

Hotrodder

#10 Post by Hotrodder »

I always remember the many historical documentaries I have watched. So many ancient civilisations discovered that were highly developed and yet mysteriously died out. The current thinking is that climate change or wayward meteors could be the next one but my money is on a pandemic.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.