France - Press Conference Tonight

:mask:
Char
Site Admin

#1 Post by Char »

Apparently, Jean Castex and Olivier Véran are going to announce a "precise timetable" for lifting health restrictions at 7pm tonight.

MAD87

#2 Post by MAD87 »

I hope they act more responsibly than politicians in certain other countries.

Char
Site Admin

#3 Post by Char »

+1 but at least they won't look like they've gone through a tumble dryer fully dressed.

Blaze

#4 Post by Blaze »

Char wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:50 pm +1 but at least they won't look like they've gone through a tumble dryer fully dressed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
+ 2

Bayleaf

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

restrictions.jpg
I believe the wearing of masks outdoors won't be obligatory anymore. Any other nuggets I've missed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rabbit

#6 Post by rabbit »

I think France is behaving more responsibly than the UK, but with hospitalisations still rising and around 400,000 cases a day isn't it a little premature?

Oldblueraincoat

#7 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

rabbit wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:45 am I think France is behaving more responsibly than the UK, but with hospitalisations still rising and around 400,000 cases a day isn't it a little premature?
@rabbit +1 - Feels a lot like the survival of the fittest, some might even suggest 'herd immunity' 😕

Bayleaf

#8 Post by Bayleaf »

Ooh, you can't say "survival of the fittest"! I said that on an fb forum once, and got slammed right down! :crazy: But I agree, it does seem to be edging that way .... herd immunity is what certain people seem to want.

Apart from the US, France has had the highest daily new cases this week - and death figures are creeping up. So, yes, I do think it's premature, especially in mid-winter when viruses like this thrive. Would be better in summer, when everyone wants to be outdoors, windows can be open. But, economy first .....

I'll stick to keeping to myself and being masked whenever near anyone else - it seems to be everywhere in our own village at the moment, so even more reason to keep away from others.

Blaze

#9 Post by Blaze »

rabbit wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:45 am I think France is behaving more responsibly than the UK, but with hospitalisations still rising and around 400,000 cases a day isn't it a little premature?
+ 1
It will be up to each individual to decide whether or how much he wants to protect himself.
Figures vary, but it would seem that over 90% of people in réanimation are non-vaccinated, with the rest being people who are vaccinated but with pre-existing health issues. Ergo vaccination = best protection.
It will be up to each individual to decide whether or how much he wants to protect himself. Do you want to risk mixing with crowds ? Can you be sure that everyone is wearing their mask correctly ?

exile

#10 Post by exile »

This is a really tricky one regarding when is the right time to start relaxing restrictions and in all likelihood it is a decision that will be wrong somewhere even everywhere around the world.

When this started I remember remonstrating with someone who was worried about the deaths, that it was infections that was important. If you did not catch the virus I would guarantee you would not die from it.

Things now have changed. Vaccination is providing very high levels of protection for those who partake. The virus has mutated and is now less severe - at least in the initial phases. These two together mean that fewer people need major medical attention, let alone ITU.

Now add on that at 400,000 new cases per day, within a very short time most people will have had it - certainly in our cities and towns. Less so perhaps in our rural areas. Even if people can be reinfected - and there are indications that that can happen - second infection is likely to be less intense than first.

We are now rapidly heading to a point with Omicron that it is not going to be much worse than a bout of really bad flu. [Yes I know we had to fight that idea early on in the infection but things have changed.] The majority of those now who are most vulnerable are the unvaccinated and with the exception of a very small minority of those, that is their choice and they have to bear the consequences rather than society as a whole having to bear the consequence of their reticence.

So in summary:
The impact of the virus is now much less severe.
With current case rates (nearly 3 million new cases per week), the virus is going to quickly (days) run out of victims to infect.
Planning for a return to normality does seem to have a real scientific basis.
No matter what we do, we cannot protect every single individual - especially those who would not protect themselves.