Still going strong.

Somewhere for all our lovers and owners of classic vehicles to chat about and discuss classic vehicles in France. Also where members can share their recent adventures in their vehicle in and out of France.
L Austin France

Still going strong.

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Just read an article about how vehicles have greater longevity & folk are keeping them longer these days which prompted me to to check on our two cars.
My wife's Citroen C4 bought new in 2014 has done about 90,000 km, rides well & is performing fine with zero problems thus far so won't get changed in the forseeable future.
My late 1999 Pug 806 bought 2nd hand in 2002 has now done about 250,000 km with only minor repairs since I've owned it. It's a 7 seater family/ 2 seater material collection/tip vehicle when required & is still running fine. This multi purpose vehicle is valued at almost nothing on the 2nd hand market but worth a lot to me for the use I put it to so, on present form, I'll keep it going until it finally goes to that great scrappy in the sky.

niemeyjt

Still going strong.

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

Likewise - my 2004 Volvo V70 with 390K on the clock just keeps going - so until I have an issue with it only being Euro 3 I expect it to keep going. Also 7 seats. I have just fitted a towbar and have no worries about it pulling a loaded trailer.

DominicBest

Still going strong.

#3 Post by DominicBest »

I own three cars, I’ve owned two of them from new and one is older. The youngest is 16 this year and their average age is 42. The two 21st Century cars are both hopefully going to go for a few more years yet, the youngest, everyday one has done over 300,000km and last weekend was used to tow a trailer load of bits and pieces to the coast and regularly gets used for long trips. I’ve just now got in from taking the oldest one out for a 30km round trip. I’m a great believer in keeping hold of vehicles that I enjoy owning, know and trust.

Hotrodder

Still going strong.

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

Both our cars here are 21 years old and while not very pretty they are still totally reliable and not stuffed full of electronic gizmos that I can't fix. I won't be looking for anything newer if one of them has to get scrapped. I would be even happier with something older but that would be venturing into "classic" territory and hence crazy prices. I get depressed when I drive past car lots full of black, white, and mostly grey cars. Only rarely see a different colour on offer. What has gotten into people's heads to get into this state of boredom? :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

Still going strong.

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

I had a choice of keeping my father's similar-sized 2015 Euro 6 Toyota Avensis or the Volvo - the Toyota was sold. Way too many electronic gadgets and gizmos and a sat-nav that cost a fortune to update.

KISS.

Blaze

Still going strong.

#6 Post by Blaze »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:13 pm I get depressed when I drive past car lots full of black, white, and mostly grey cars. Only rarely see a different colour on offer. What has gotten into people's heads to get into this state of boredom?
The French have always gone in for boring colours and today it's only the small Pugs or Fiats that have any sense of fun. The problem when buying a secondhand car is not getting a choice of colour (though you could go for a respray, I suppose ...). When I asked a car salesman why new cars didn't seem to be available in colmours more interesting than brown and grey, he replied that People didn't want them .... :?

MAD87

Still going strong.

#7 Post by MAD87 »

What is a Pug? I thought it was a flat-faced dog.

hughnique

Still going strong.

#8 Post by hughnique »

I have a Mitsubishi Canter tipper truck 2002 less than 30K miles on it useful but when the renos are finished I wonder what the resale value will be RHD but French registered.

L Austin France

Still going strong.

#9 Post by L Austin France »

MAD87 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:30 am What is a Pug? I thought it was a flat-faced dog.
Peugeot

Sparkle

Still going strong.

#10 Post by Sparkle »

Our Renault Modus bought new in 2005 has 198,000 km and is still going strong with a few repairs now & again. Our MG bought new (I bought it for OHs big birthday!) in 2002 has 9,000km and obviously is still going strong :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride