Now the moles

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Hotrodder

Now the moles

#51 Post by Hotrodder »

exile wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:04 pm Moles are solitary (except for mating of course). Moles are territorial. So if you eradicate one, when there are lots around, another will just come in and take over the runs.

Their eyesight is poor and they rely on smell and hearing to survive.

They are sensitive to strong and persistent smells and strong noises. Noises perhaps fails to work because we too would object to the semi-continuous noise you would have to create.

So smell: Dog and cat poo has been suggested but after a day or so the smell is largely gone and 100 holes would be a street sweeper's worth of poo. If you have an old fashioned type of iron monger, you might still be able to buy calcium carbide (carbure) in lumps. [The last time I did this was quite a few years ago and the 3kg was handed over in a rather flimsy paper bag. Rather interesting given the thunderstorm in force at the time.] Calcium carbide reacts with water to release acetylene gas in a very impure form and this gas stinks of garlic/rotten onions. A lump dropped into each hole will react with the small amounts of moisture in the soil and air and will release the noxious smelling gas over days, possibly weeks. No need to add water. It has worked for me with individual runs.
Someone has also suggested chlorine tabs as sold for pool maintenance. I bought two large tubs. Useless. I also tried connecting a large bore hose from my tractor exhaust to poke down the holes. Useless. Neat diesel, old sump oil, old marine distress flares, all useless.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

Now the moles

#52 Post by exile »

I think the problem with all of those is that they either don't have a noxious smell or it dissipates very quickly.
Calcium carbide is a slow but continuous chemical reaction, so the runs become full of gas that stops the mole being able to small out prey and it stays that way for weeks. The chemical reaction means that the gas is being slowly pumped into the runs, whereas for example, chlorine tablets smell foul but there is nothing to push that round the runs because there is no generation of new bad small. So the mole can just avoid where the tablets are.

Lori

Now the moles

#53 Post by Lori »

exile wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:47 pm I think the problem with all of those is that they either don't have a noxious smell or it dissipates very quickly.
Calcium carbide is a slow but continuous chemical reaction, so the runs become full of gas that stops the mole being able to small out prey and it stays that way for weeks. The chemical reaction means that the gas is being slowly pumped into the runs, whereas for example, chlorine tablets smell foul but there is nothing to push that round the runs because there is no generation of new bad small. So the mole can just avoid where the tablets are.
Are you talking about something like this?

https://www.amazon.fr/carbonate-calcium ... 519&sr=8-6

What are the dangers of using this? I hate the moles, but I've never considered putting chemicals in the soil. How much of this stuff do you need to put in the holes and do you need to target all or most of the holes?

Thanks so much for the information.

Lori

Now the moles

#54 Post by Lori »

Sorry my link did not post. Not sure why. I'll try again. It is Poudre de Carbonate de Calcium sold on Amazon.fr

https://www.amazon.fr/carbonate-calcium ... 519&sr=8-6

Hotrodder

Now the moles

#55 Post by Hotrodder »

The calcium carbide trick might be worthwhile. I just looked it up.

ACUTE HAZARDS-FIRE & EXPLOSION Not combustible but forms flammable gas on contact with water or damp air. Many reactions may cause fire or explosion. Risk of fire and explosion on contact with water.

Sounds like a redneck version of the famous Rodenator could be devised.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Lori

Now the moles

#56 Post by Lori »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:40 am
ACUTE HAZARDS-FIRE & EXPLOSION Not combustible but forms flammable gas on contact with water or damp air. Many reactions may cause fire or explosion. Risk of fire and explosion on contact with water.

Sounds like a redneck version of the famous Rodenator could be devised.
That's kinda what I figured. I'll pass.

exile

Now the moles

#57 Post by exile »

Cannot access the links @Lori but no it is not Carbonate de Calcium - calcium carbonate aka chalk or limestone.

You need to search on Carbure de Calcium. I know the Amazon link also decides that you really meant Carbonate or even vitamin supplements as first choices but if you scroll down you will find carbure.

https://www.amazon.fr/ARDEA-CARBURE-CAL ... 538&sr=8-5

as an example

exile

Now the moles

#58 Post by exile »

@Char Do you know what is happening here? It seems links to amazon.fr are being blocked for some reason.

exile

Now the moles

#59 Post by exile »

Onyx I11731812 ARDEA-CARBURE DE CALCIUM-500 g-ONYX-BNARI11730628 is the product I was trying to link to

niemeyjt

Now the moles

#60 Post by niemeyjt »

exile wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:45 pm@Char Do you know what is happening here? It seems links to amazon.fr are being blocked for some reason.
Not sure it is - if you quote your post you will see it is there in the quote - and there is a big gap in your post.

Maybe it is a browser issue - yours and mine alike?