First Aid Kit

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
niemeyjt

First Aid Kit

#1 Post by niemeyjt »

OK folks - suggestions for what to put in a first aid kit - apropos nothing in particular - but the shop-bought collections are more than the cost of components and often omit things like:

needles and tweezers for splinters

. . .

Veem

Re: First Aid Kit

#2 Post by Veem »

A quick google suggests -

plasters in a variety of different sizes and shapes.
small, medium and large sterile gauze dressings.
at least 2 sterile eye dressings.
triangular bandages.
crêpe rolled bandages.
safety pins.
disposable sterile gloves.
tweezers.

We don't actually have a first aid kit. But the horses do! I've been known on occasions to 'borrow' from theirs! :lol:

suein56

#3 Post by suein56 »

Veem wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm We don't actually have a first aid kit. But the horses do! I've been known on occasions to 'borrow' from theirs! :lol:
I thought we didn't have one either until my OH ripped a huge, deep chunk of skin off his forearm one evening (so was bleeding profusely) when he announced that there was a travel kit in the boot of our ancient car. Upon investigation we did and it was superb .. albeit 17 years old .. and had everything in it that my first-aid trained daughter needed to effect an efficient repair job .. fortunately no stitches were needed and no visit to Urgences needed either.

Crystal

#4 Post by Crystal »

Veem wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm
We don't actually have a first aid kit. But the horses do! I've been known on occasions to 'borrow' from theirs! :lol:
Same here Veem - we have a 'communal' first aid cupboard in the barn, filled with every type and size of dressing you can imagine, but things like syringes, needles and stitching-up kits :shock: are kept in the house so I know they are sterile.

Blaze

#5 Post by Blaze »

Serum physiologique flacons (eye wash)
Disinfectant - bottle or flacons

Pathca

#6 Post by Pathca »

First aid kits are great but don’t ever try anything you aren’t confident at doing and I would encourage everyone to do a first aid /basic life support course even if it’s on line

Crystal

#7 Post by Crystal »

Hand gel or wipes
A roll of Elastoplast
A pair of scissors

mysty

#8 Post by mysty »

She cut herself last week we had a large Ger.an first aid kit, came free with an Alfa I bought in Germany a few years ago.
It was all in German so it was open up things until you found something that looked familiar.
She is still alive.

suein56

#9 Post by suein56 »

mysty wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:43 pm She cut herself last week we had a large Ger.an first aid kit, came free with an Alfa I bought in Germany a few years ago.
It was all in German so it was open up things until you found something that looked familiar.
She is still alive.
Our first aid kit came in an upmarket VW golf we bought secondhand, the car was first registered in early 2001.
Perhaps it is/was mandatory in German cars ..

basquesteve

#10 Post by basquesteve »

As far as I am aware its mandatory in France to have a kit in every vehicle I try to carry pain killers for a migraine attack a small amount of salt plenty of woven sticky plasters a couple of needles bandages both elasticated or plain cotton and because I still have them shell dressings ie plenty of sterile wading. A plastic metal coated thermal blanket, glucose tablets a box of matches and a torch may also come in handy, at the end of the day you cannot beat a good charged mobile and call 112