Hemp Building Materials - the way forward?

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Bayleaf

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

It seems like a no-brainer to me:
Hemp.jpg
Grows quick, sustainable, easily renewable, all those words we like to hear. What could be the downsides, there's always some!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Loup-garou

#2 Post by Loup-garou »

AND if you are feeling down or depressed, you can lick the walls for a quick boost! :clap:

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

Loup-garou wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:53 am AND if you are feeling down or depressed, you can lick the walls for a quick boost! :clap:
:lol:
I'd rather see some hemp growing here than endless swathes of maize ... but I haven't seen it anywhere in this area. They used to grow loads of it in the area where we used to live (49) - nice smell when driving by :crazy:

Hotrodder

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

I've seen a field of it here in 22 a few years ago. Not much good. Probably grown for the fibre, not the THC content. 8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#5 Post by exile »

So just how many square kilometres of hemp fields would be required to be used in all new building construction? Land that is now no longer useful for food production; so how many people would starve as a result?

Just how fire resistant is it? and what would it cost to make it fire resistant for 100 years plus?

As a small scale eco-idea - all well and good. As a long term solution for major construction - it will never happen.

Sorry for a dose of realism

rsm

#6 Post by rsm »

Hotrodder

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

I'm wondering how much food producing land is being lost to ethanol crops.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#8 Post by exile »

Agree @Hotrodder

Polly

#9 Post by Polly »

There are a number of natural products being used for insulation in new houses, such as bales of wool or straw, plastered over to give a good finish.

We know an architect living near us in the Gard whose whole business for more than the nearly 15 years we’ve known her has been designing and overseeing the building of eco houses and using such insulating materials. I’ve been round a few houses she’s designed in our area, some while being built, lovely houses that I would be delighted to live in and benefit from the very low energy bills. Mostly beyond our budget, though.

While this type of construction won’t have a huge part to play in the future, it is becoming more popular, particularly with people who want to protect the environment.

niemeyjt

#10 Post by niemeyjt »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:19 pmI'm wondering how much food producing land is being lost to ethanol crops.
And biodiesel. It is not as if it just grows itself, either. Consider:

Tractor uses diesel to plough the field

Tractor uses diesel to harrow / pull down the field

Tractor uses diesel to drill the field

Tractor uses diesel to roll the field

Tractor uses diesel to spray the field, several times

Combine uses diesel to harvest the crop

Tractor uses diesel to cart away the crop

Lorry uses diesel to carry crop to factory

When there are starving people in the world I think it is utterly immoral to divert potential foodstuffs to propelling vehicles. And it is worse that what it replaces.