The evil sides of two countries

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
hughnique

#31 Post by hughnique »

exile wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:58 pm @hughnique not all of the 5 countries I posted about are bigger than the UK. France, Germany and Spain certainly are. Italy is somewhat bigger but not massively so. Austria is about 1/3 the size of the UK.

However (contrary to some views) size does not always matter. Some parts of some countries are to all intents and purposes uninhabitable.
Yes I put my hand up to that faux pas, albeit are we to believe the stats given, as you rightly point out the Uk will undoubtedly creep up the list, given the figures now quoted on a daily basis from the channel. It has been said time after time, why the UK, normally it is because speaky Englis, but then there seems to be a large section, given your figures that are quite content to settle in the list of countries mentioned, perhaps they are the more grateful section of the migrant community that are just pleased to be given accommodation. Perhaps the UK is seen as a soft touch as has been suggested??

exile

#32 Post by exile »

As you say beware of the statistics. We both think that the UK will rise up the asylum seeker list in 2022 but that doesn't tell the story does it. With over 4 million displaced Ukrainians, all of whom wish to return to their home country, they will not be counted, since they are not seeking asylum - merely refuge.

The UK complains of being overrun, of an invasion and so on. It doesn't know the half of it.

hughnique

#33 Post by hughnique »

I would hazard a guess that given the recent incompetence of the UK government, that things will come to a head in the months to come, and I can see, the pie eating council tenants kicking off about cost of living, energy prices etc. rising as a result of the refugee / immigrant situation. Deja Vu as per the same sector wanting Brexit to stop immigration, and all these Muslims and terrorists getting in.

DominicBest

#34 Post by DominicBest »

If you want to see how the other half live go onto YouTube, watch almost any GB News video on migration, Brexit or the EU then read the comments. It’s actually quite frightening. I’m fascinated by the posts that claim that their granddad would be turning in his grave as he fought to stop these foreigners entering their country. Does that mean my education was less good than I’d thought? I’d been taught that that generation fought to prevent fascism from taking over Britain but it seems that they fought to protect their children so that they could breed fascist grandchildren to do that very thing. These are worrying times, forget the migrant boats Britain is being destroyed from within.

niemeyjt

#35 Post by niemeyjt »

DominicBest wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:57 pmThese are worrying times, forget the migrant boats Britain is being destroyed from within.
There is no situation a politician cannot make worse.

When I read some of the projected legislation for the next two years I ask myself why do they never ever learn?

Expect further NHS meltdown and a further housing crisis if the government persists in its legislative program.

You cannot repeal the Law of Unintended Consequences.

tagh

#36 Post by tagh »

Interestingly, the French are taking an interest in their own illegal residents and seem to have decided that those who have been in the country illegally for a number of years and who have a clean criminal record and who have been in legal, paid employment will be allowed to stay and given a c de s. Their employers will of course need to vouch for their work records.
Of particular interest are those working in the construction industry.

UK seems to be accepting all and sundry whether their claims for asylum are legitimate or not; it would seem logical to give precedence to those who have the skills needed by the country and or who would accept long term contracts in certain fields. Others, well, sling em out.

exile

#37 Post by exile »

I have never heard of long term contracts for harvesting farm crops. But there is certainly a lack of fruit pickers and working in the fields positions. In fact when I did it, it was piece work. Blackcurrants at 2/6p per trugg. Can't remember the strawberry rate but it wasn't a king's ransom.

tagh

#38 Post by tagh »

Agreed about fruit picking and other but if they are prepared to accept a work and study contract which would include good behaviour clauses then there might be a way forward. For example, work in areas where needed, seasonally and study the rest of the time with repayable grants, for a minimum of say five years. If programme and work are kept to and successful then they are eligible to apply for UK citizenship.

Hotrodder

#39 Post by Hotrodder »

All very sensible sounding solutions but where will they live? Before all this started making the news there already was a housing shortage. Lack of affordable housing, new or old and speculators buying up the cheapest properties to do up and flog at a profit effectively stopping the young and low paid getting onto the property ladder. The landlords seeing this were quick to see an opportunity to steadily jack up the rents. Where the hell do people think this leads?
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Hotrodder

#40 Post by Hotrodder »

Quiksilver wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:52 pm And that is what detention centres are supposed to be about....sorting the genuine refugees and asylum-seekers from the economic 'refugees' and downright criminals. Even 15 years ago the unofficial figures for entry of the two latter were mind-blowing. Where does any country draw the line before sinking under the sheer weight of numbers?
The numbers are most likely to be off the scale. In the 90s there was some public concern over the numbers of illegals being found in lorries arriving at Dover. I heard a radio news report where some official was asked how many. His answer was vague to say the least and he said there was no official record being kept. Someone else said a safe estimate would be around 100,000 per year. This was based on the tiny fraction of lorries that were actually searched and found to contain illegals. I'm thinking I'm not the only one to arrive by ferry in a UK port and find no police or customs there to meet and greet down to lack of manpower.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.