Baltimore bridge collapse

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Polarengineer

#11 Post by Polarengineer »

Studying the video, I see that a foremast light was on at the moment of impact, so maybe it was main engine and/or steerage that failed. If they rebuild the bridge, perhaps they will pile in some anti-collision structure around the supports.

L Austin France

#12 Post by L Austin France »

It looked to me like some design of multi cantilever bridge where once one half span was taken out the corresponding balancing half span on the other side of the support column had nothing to support it with the consequential see-saw pack of cards effect.

MAD87

#13 Post by MAD87 »

Shoudda gone to Specsavers...

DominicBest

#14 Post by DominicBest »

The later reports and video show that the ship had lost electrical power several times before the collision.With something that size there’s no option for lat minute changes of direction.

DominicBest

#15 Post by DominicBest »

Polarengineer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:06 pm Studying the video, I see that a foremast light was on at the moment of impact, so maybe it was main engine and/or steerage that failed. If they rebuild the bridge, perhaps they will pile in some anti-collision structure around the supports.
It’s possible that the navigation lights were on a backup battery system.

Headers

#16 Post by Headers »

It is reported that the ship issued a MayDay signal just before the collision which allowed the traffic flow on the bridge to be reduced. Astonishingly only 6 people are unaccounted for and they seem to be construction workers.
This ship has previously collided in 2016 in Antwerp

A.N.Other

#17 Post by A.N.Other »

Scroll back to 01:23 and see the entire incident. Clock is top left on screen and as I write the ship appears on the left at -10:27 on the scroll bar.
Clearly a blackout onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a7h3kkgPg

It wasn't the whole 1.6 miles, the majority of it is concrete with the collapsed steel spans in the middle.

Headers

#18 Post by Headers »

A butterfly flaps its wings….
And it turns out that Baltimore is the export point US to U.K. for Liquified Gas. Who’s betting on the price of gas going up?

ajm

#19 Post by ajm »

Biden reckons he has crossed that bridge many times by car and train. Poor old thing :)