Another new word in English !

:speech_balloon: Grab a chair, kick off your shoes, chill and chat.
Bayleaf

#21 Post by Bayleaf »

I was interested in the origins of Twerking:

"Twerking has been around in its present form since the early 1990s but is the modern version of an ancient dance called Mapouka that originated in Côte d'Ivoire (i.e. Ivory Coast) in West Africa."

Mapouka dancing - sounds much better! :)

Hotrodder

#22 Post by Hotrodder »

Probably developed to be helpful with constipation. 8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Hotrodder

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

DominicBest wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:42 am perhaps it’s time for some more hard hitting anti drink driving advertising campaigns.
I doubt that any anti-drink driving campaigns will stop this behaviour. As much as I hate technology I would strongly support the installation of alcohol sensors that would disable the car in the event of a drunk getting behind the wheel. There has been research into the concept.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

DominicBest

#24 Post by DominicBest »

glazedallover wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:14 am Jimmy Saville starred in the ad and also believed in road safety.
Duplicate
Last edited by DominicBest on Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicBest

#25 Post by DominicBest »

glazedallover wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:14 am Jimmy Saville starred in the ad and also believed in road safety.
Is that relevant? At the time he was a well known well respected celebrity. You obviously picked up the message from the catch phrase, the campaign worked. I’m not sure what you’re desperate to prove.
Do you drink and drive? Do you wear a seat belt every time you go in a car? Do you have a motorcycle air-bag in case you go on a motorcycle? Do you take precautions to protect your life and the life of others every time you go on the road or are you one of that modern breed who think that you have the right to do what you want when you want?
I really don’t understand. When I’ve done foolish things and got hurt I’ve always accepted my part yet there are a handful of you out there who seem to think that as I’m not weeping crocodile tears about two strangers whose behaviour lead to their untimely and tragic death I’m a victim blaming monster. As hard as it is for you to understand they were part of the problem, they were not innocent bystanders.

glazedallover

#26 Post by glazedallover »

I'm not desperate to prove anything.

Blaze

#27 Post by Blaze »

@DominicBest I'm with you all the way.
I've worn a seatbelt since before they were made compulsory and I have never drunk and driven. Apart from the safety aspect, my driving licence has always been far too precious to risk losing. Losing a licence can also cost you your job ...
I've mopped enough people up off the road not to take either of the above risks. I failed my bike test years ago because I failed to cancel the indicator (as soon as the examiner told me to cancel it, I knew I'd failed ...) But that could have cost me my life. However, I decided perhaps it wasn't for me (always just that little tinge of regret ...).

The number of people cycling or walking at night, wearing dark clothing, no lights or reflective gear is astonishing. This is particularly noticeable since many places are turning off street lights early. They do not seem to have the slightest concept of personal safety and being visible to others.
Don't get me started about people using their phones while driving ....

DominicBest

#28 Post by DominicBest »

Thank you. 🙂

Hotrodder

#29 Post by Hotrodder »

I've seen an artic driver on his phone while going around a roundabout. :o
I really don't understand how anyone can possibly have a conversation on a mobile and not be distracted from the business of driving. If I ever took our phone out of the house it certainly wouldn't be switched on. Even the hands-free setups sound like a bad idea. :?

rabbit

#30 Post by rabbit »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:27 am
DominicBest wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:42 am perhaps it’s time for some more hard hitting anti drink driving advertising campaigns.
I doubt that any anti-drink driving campaigns will stop this behaviour. As much as I hate technology I would strongly support the installation of alcohol sensors that would disable the car in the event of a drunk getting behind the wheel. There has been research into the concept.
But the driver says she wasn’t drunk. She said that after crashing the car she reached for a bottle of vodka from the glove compartment and took a swig