By popular demand - things to do with Poo!

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
Bayleaf

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

As they're designed to be used for heating, thought this section the most appropriate! :lol:

I did know about the idea of compressing manure into bricks/blocks/logs years ago, but it was brought to my attention again recently. Considering the rising costs of heating fuels, it seemed like an appropriate time to take it on as a serious addition to log burning.

I am very fortunate to have a pony and donkey, and I currently collect their droppings (I'll try to keep the words polite!) which eventually break down for excellent compost called "ponkey poo". Let's go one further, and collect the fresh stuff, ram it into moulds, tip out and leave to dry for a few weeks. Then, it becomes a very valuable addition to mix with logs in a woodburner stove. At the moment I've just used a couple of surplus loaf-shaped cake tins (non-stick of course! :D ) which works well. Poo in it's purest form works best - without shavings or straw. So if you have any equines near you, I'm sure the owners would be more than happy for you to help yourself! ;)

For the squeamish, the digestion of horses is pretty rubbish. They don't digest stuff well, hence when it comes out t'other end, it's pretty much just mushed up grass/hay (and whatever hard feed they get). That's why they need to be constant grazers of little and often. So, when the "poo bricks" have dried enough, it doesn't smell at all as it resembles mushed up dry grass/hay. I'm trying to perfect my method of making the bricks, without having to invest in an expensive poo-press (but if it works that well, it may be worth it). Just a bit of my time and effort - it's free and never ending! :lol: And it keeps the field clean - which is also important for the animals' health.

Chicken poo would work well too - although you'd obviously need a lot more of it, but if it's mixed with their bedding (and still wet), it should stick together.

The last of the first bricks:
IMG_20220408_083746.jpg
Looks a bit like weetabix - sorry, are you having your breakfast?! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bayleaf on Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

niemeyjt

By popular demand - let's talk manure bricks!

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

I think it is only a little different in output to burning peat - as they do in Shetland islands for example - so an inspired use of an otherwise waste material.

Not sure Chicken manure will work - because it is a mix of pee and poo - so harder to shape and longer to dry out.

Veem

#3 Post by Veem »

I've never tried to make these bricks but a friend did. I think she found it too labour intensive and the wait for the bricks to dry out too long. Perhaps if you haven't also got the horses to look after, which would free up a fair bit of time, it's worth spending that time and taking the trouble. :D

Blaze

#4 Post by Blaze »

Chicken and sheep poo are mild waste products and make excellent fertiliser. Because they don't need "maturing" like horse poo, you can use it straight away on the ground you want to cultivate.
(I think that Bayleaf could have headed the topic "Things to do with Poo" .... :lol: )

Bayleaf

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

Blaze wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:47 am Chicken and sheep poo are mild waste products and make excellent fertiliser. Because they don't need "maturing" like horse poo, you can use it straight away on the ground you want to cultivate.
(I think that Bayleaf could have headed the topic "Things to do with Poo" .... :lol: )
Your wish is my command! :lol: 8-)

Blaze

#6 Post by Blaze »

Then you could always do this ...... :? :lol:
_59387495_59387494.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bayleaf

#7 Post by Bayleaf »

:lol:

exile

#8 Post by exile »

Chicken poo may be a bit strong to use neat on or immediately around plants

hughnique

#9 Post by hughnique »

What about human poo will that burn, certainly feels like it sometimes.

Bayleaf

#10 Post by Bayleaf »

:lol: Might be a bit too potent - especially if you've been on the chilies the night before!