Where is this in France ?

:camera: The place to share your photos as well as exchanging ideas, information, and discuss software and equipment
DominicBest

#521 Post by DominicBest »

Yes. 🙂

Mangetout

#522 Post by Mangetout »

Is that yes to all 3?

exile

#523 Post by exile »

In my case it is retained knowledge - sometimes backed up with a bit of research, sometimes not.
My Arras guess a few days ago was based on the building style - definitely Flanders style - plus a memory of seeing something very similar on the box when UK border force decided to open an office in Arras to start reducing the number of refugees taking to small boats.

What I never do is use reverse imaging, which I consider cheating.

I should be able to place that American made diesel locomotive but at the moment am a bit stuck

Mangetout

#524 Post by Mangetout »

My very few replies have either been based on retained knowledge or guesses based on, for instance, the style of architecture or perhaps surrounding countryside/background/signs etc. I don't know what reverse imaging is? Is that locomotive definitely American, and dd they ship any over to Europe?

elsie

#525 Post by elsie »

Yes, to all.

In the case of the locomotive unless you've seen it or a reference to it there is nothing to help identify the location. I doubt many here have?

Snowing outside so I spent time this morning researching rusty train workshops/cemeteries in France and then looked at the results. I eventually came across the historical building Ancien Atelier des Chemins de Fer Economiques de la Gironde à Saint-Symphorien with a similar building/locomotive image https://monumentum.fr/ancien-atelier-de ... 83894.html

What else could be done?

exile

#526 Post by exile »

If my memory serves correctly, there were something like 6 of these ordered from the US (or perhaps built under licence from the US) to serve the secondary routes. I have a feeling it was for the Herault system but beyond that memory fails.

Reverse imaging is a system where you load a picture to an app that then searches the web for similar pictures and brings you back the websites.

Thank you for that hint @elsie

Searching of CFE de la Gironde brings up a picture of this tome. Note the picture top right.

https://www.historail.fr/a-lire/les-che ... e-gironde/

exile

#527 Post by exile »

Then Wiki comes with this statement

Locomotives diésel
4027 à 4038, type BB (GE 75 ton), livrées en 1947 par Général-Electric, (n° de construction : 27528 à 27537), construites en 1944, diesel électriques.

Mangetout

#528 Post by Mangetout »

I'm not suggesting it's not right to 'google' to answer the question, I am just interested to know the level of knowledge held in the old grey cells. I was lucky to have been married to someone with an almost photographic memory. He was my 'go to' when I wanted to know something. I'm only now beginning to realise how unusual he was in that regard.

Oldblueraincoat

#529 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Well done @elsie Sainte Symporien it is - and I thought we had previously agreed that doing research was acceptable as there cannot be anyone who has travelled the length and breadth of La Belle France and could recognise and memorise it all. If, however, that is considered to be "cheating" then perhaps we should reaffirm the rules. I for one have enjoyed and learnt a lot from researching pictures on this thread.
Here's some more info
http://denshaotaku365.canalblog.com/arc ... 55216.html

elsie

#530 Post by elsie »

How about this?
Clipboard01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.