Weather ... again

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Hotrodder

Weather ... again

#101 Post by Hotrodder »

Polly wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:24 pm I read that Brittany is to continue with poor weather - sorry to read that.
Normal state of affairs here. Just feel sad for our friends who are planning a short escape from Plague Island next week. And they are bringing our online shopping............if they come. French dockers strike action mentioned in the news recently.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Blaze

Weather ... again

#102 Post by Blaze »

My sister and her husband are moving to the Isle of Lewis .... weather permitting. But their ferry today has been cancelled and they have been rebooked for Wednesday. Their removals lorry is booked for tomorrow and cannot be changed ..... Apparently the company is used to being given a key and plans of the house .....
B-I-L starts his new job next week, so they're in at the deep end. But they know the score up there, so will sit it out ....

tagh

Weather ... again

#103 Post by tagh »

Here in the Pas de Calais it has been beautiful for the last few days and very warm- I recorded 18 degrees C yesterday. We deserve it after the winter of flooding.

Polly

Weather ... again

#104 Post by Polly »

I arrived at Nîmes station to see orange-tinged cars down in the car park - our friends who picked me up were planning to go to the car wash that evening - they were leaving next day and didn’t want to return to their car in June looking like that and maybe orange sand stuck in places.

I didn’t do what I normally do on arrival - switch the electrics on and go straight out onto the balcony as it had orange dust and orange leaf covers all over it. Swept from doorway outwards twice and washed balcony tiles twice - it’s still clinging on round the edges. Many cars still have orange sand clinging on - they look really dirty, much worse than normal dusty dirt.

I’m glad we get more yellowy sand at home when it visits, much nicer than orange sand!

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#105 Post by DominicBest »

Blaze wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:44 am
Polly wrote:I read that Brittany is to continue with poor weather - sorry to read that.
I must admit, I don't mind the weather one bit - the rain is great for the garden and the wind doesn't really bother us as it's mainly from the west and south-west. The house faces north-ish and south-ish. It isn't cold so it doesn't stop us getting out and about, walking etc - and washing dries a treat outside !!!

We had intended going off for 2 or 3 days in our caravan, but have decided to wait until the wind drops - we can leave at the drop of a hat, so it doesn't really matter. I managed to give the grass a cut yesterday - the ride-on has a brand new battery and starts like a charm ! Talking of new batteries, our 8 year old Golf has also just had its first new battery - brilliant !
My Golf managed 16 years on its first battery. Lead acid car batteries are things that thrive on being used. They last a long time in cars that are used every day but can have short lives in mowers that spend long period of time dormant. I actually gave my dead ride on mower’s battery a new lease of life by charging it with the fancy Optimate battery charger that I bought for the car I have that sits unused for long periods of time. The Optimate ‘manages’ the battery when attached by allowing it to go through discharge and recharge cycles which keep the battery healthy. It magically fixed the dead mower battery.

Blaze

Weather ... again

#106 Post by Blaze »

DominicBest wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:54 am They last a long time in cars that are used every day but can have short lives in mowers that spend long period of time dormant
Car batteries have certainly improved since my early days of owning a car and having to bump start in the mornings ...
Living where we do now, our (petrol) cars do shorter journeys which may not help battery life. In the past we had diesels with long battery life.

The mower and OH's moto (like our cars) have always been kept under cover and the batteries removed in winter. The bike is 15 years old and hasn't yet needed a new battery. - it starts perfectly after end-of-winter recharging. The Optimate sounds a good alternative to removing the battery and worth thinking about for the bike - thanks for that.

L Austin France

Weather ... again

#107 Post by L Austin France »

I've got an original Optimate for moto which still works fine, is always connected when bike 'not on the road, & keeps the battery charged on maintence cycle.
My 3.5 litre diesel engined 'old school' tractor, which is rarely used, has a enormous battery for which I have a CTEK charger connected. Tractor always starts quickly with no preheating no matter the temperature. This charger has all sorts of functions & not expensive.
For all other stuff, mower + two cars I use a cheapo Bosch charger which can be left on maintenance charge if required.
All three chargers are tiny electronic jobs which work fine compared to the bulky expensive transformer type I bought that failed after just over 12 months.

Hotrodder

Weather ... again

#108 Post by Hotrodder »

I, too, have discovered these new tiny chargers. I've always used an old fashioned transformer type in a metal case that falls to bits with rust over time. Took a chance on a new Chinese wonder gadget the size of a block of butter. Very clever. It regulates its charge rate according to both battery voltage and ambient temperature and has a recovery function that can purposely over charge a battery to drive the sulphates off the plates. I never bought so many batteries before coming to France. I can only assume it is because my vehicles have to sit out in the rain and the demands of starting a cold diesel are higher.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Bayleaf

Weather ... again

#109 Post by Bayleaf »

And, back to the Weather .....

Cracking little storm this morning, lashings of rain (for a change!), but the rest of the week looks good - and a little cooler. That was a strangely warm last few days!

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#110 Post by DominicBest »

Bayleaf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:25 am And, back to the Weather .....
That little diversion was weather related... Summer day cars, lawn mowers and motorcycles are all influenced by the weather.